I’m back! I can hardly believe my last post was in October of last year. I haven’t made any Persian food until today!
My mom has an amazing recipe for Cotlet Mahi ton or Tuna Fish Patties. Tpyically Cotlet is made with Beef but since my mom is not a big meat eater she tested out using Tuna Fish and of course now that’s my preferred way to have Cotlet. This was my first attempt at making this recipe and I’m really happy with the outcome. It’s much easier than I had thought and it’s a great meal because it can be eaten hot or cold. I made a sandwhich this time and added rocket, avocado, pickles and tomoatoes. So simple – so yummie!
I thought I had added enough salt but be more generous than you normally would be.
Makes: 8 cotlets / patties
Cooking time: Takes about 1.5 hours of prep and cooking time
1. Rinse the potatoes. Fill a large pot with water to cover the potatoes. Boil the potatoes.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, find a sizeable dish and peel and grate the onions in the dish. Get rid of any excess juice from the onions.
3. Open the 2 cans of tuna fish and place it in the dish with the onions. Try and seperate out the big chunks and mix the flakes in with the onions. Make sure to remove any excess brine.
4. When the potatoes have boiled, drain the water and peel the skin off the potatoes under running cold water.
5. Grate the potatoes in the dish and mix it with the onions and the tuna fish.
6. Add a generous portion of salt. Add pepper. Add a tea spoon of turmeric and a dash of cinammon and saffron.
7. Wait for the potatoes to really cool down before you add 1 egg to mix
8. Once you’ve added the egg, thouroughly mix ingredients together (preferably with you hand)
9. Find a large flat plate to put your breadcrumbs.
10. Start making your patties by taking a small handful of the mixture and make a ball. Pat the ball down to make a pattie shape. This should an oval shape. (It takes some practice so don’t be discouraged!)
11. After each pattie you make, cover it with breadcrumbs on both sides.
10. Get a large frying pan and cover the base with Canola Oil. Heat the oil at a medium temperature until hot.
12. While the oil is getting hot, get a flat dish and cover it with paper towels so you can place the finished pattie on it to soak up the oil.
13. Add 2-3 patties in the frying pan. Cook for about 4 minutes on each side at a medium heat or until golden brown.
14. Once your done soaking up the excess oil you’re ready to serve. You can either serve all 8 patties in a dish with a little garnish or you can make a sandwhich like I did. Whatever you choose – enjoy!